Monday, June 7, 2010

African Safari Serengeti Lion Birthday Cake

I created this cake for a man celebrating his 40 birthday.  It was a surprise cake from his family.  He is a hunter and just this past year had been on an African lion hunt and "bagged" his first lion..  a very big achievement.  It was a bitter sweet project for me... I am a "tree hugger" and will stop traffic to move turtles off the road (yeah thats me don't hate me).. so it was sad for me but I respect the right of a responsible hunter and I wanted to do my best to create a great cake.   I was very very happy with the end result both in the cake and our "sweet" lion topper that Melanie created out of rice krispies and fondant. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not respect. There is no respect deserved to a person who hunts and kills a magnificent animal for sport. You should be ashamed of yourself for lowering your standards and accepting an order where people would applaud a man who shoots one of the most majestic of all our creatures. I am appalled.

Anonymous said...

You should be ashamed of yourself! Your not an animal lover~ your a $$$ lover! I'm a cake decorator myself and certainly wouldn't lower my morals and belief's just to make money.SHAME ON YOU.No respect should be given to any person that kills such a beautiful animal for sport...

Nneamaka said...

All the cruel comments beside, I think it's beautiful cake. You showed extreme attention to detail with the painting and the color scheme is easy on the eyes. It takes great patience to draw animal and plant shapes to proportion, on a rounded object, but you did it very well. I also love the kind-eyed cuddly lion you molded as opposed to a fiercer, dominating type. The soft edges makes this cake work for an adult or a child, so well done. The ability to visually please a wide age range can be daunting for some, but you acheived it. I'm having a wedding in August with a cake that requires just as much if not more painting skills. I hope my cake designer is as talented as you.

Anonymous said...

Poor lion :( But all poor dead lions aside... the cake is amazing, I'm trying to do a lion cake for my sisters birthday and think that I'm going to make it kind of like this one... Did you handpaint every animal or use a stencil?

Anonymous said...

Judge not, lest ye be judged! I don't agree with killing lions for sport, but don't attack this poor lady just because she made the man a cake his family requested. I don't think her making this cake is going to suddenly inspire the masses to go out and shoot a lion.